What does Memorial Day mean to you? It can mean very different things to each individual. However, the reason for Memorial Day is to remember those Americans who served, fought, and died for our country in the defense of freedom, liberty, and their families. It’s to remember their ultimate sacrifice to keep us free. It’s a day to remember the true price of our freedom. This Memorial Day, let’s actively remember our ancestors, family members, loved ones, colleagues, neighbors, and friends who have paid the price for the blessings of liberty.
Observance of Memorial Day
There are many things one can do to respectfully observe Memorial Day. These ideas will help greatly to turn minds and hearts to think upon the ultimate sacrifice made and to honor those who made it in order to defend our freedom and liberty.
- Wear a Memorial Day button or pin
- Visit cemeteries and place flags or flowers on the graves of service men and women.
- Flying the US flag at half mast until noon on Memorial Day, for national mourning
- Attending special services
- Visiting memorials
- Participating in a National Moment of Remembrance at 3PM, to quietly reflect upon the meaning of the day
- Aiding/comforting widows, orphans, and family of our fallen
- Aiding/comforting veterans
There are limitless things you can do to observe this special day. A very special idea is to give a gift to someone who has lost their loved one. This is a very personal gesture and can provide some comfort. A Memorial Day gift idea can be as simple as a hug and spending time with them. A card or flowers are also acceptable. It can be anything that will help honor and comfort. Another Memorial Day gift Idea is a shadow box. A shadow box proudly displays and preserves the Military Awards of a fallen hero. This is an incredible gift for a mother or father, widow, or child of a fallen hero. The most important thing, however, is to honor the memory and sacrifice of the many Americans who have kept us free.Memorial Day Remembrance,